Norwalk CSD (HS & MS) Spring Activities Guidance
(All guidance is fluid and subject to change with little lead time to adjust)
This guidance was formed from recommendations from the Warren County Department of Public Health, Iowa High School Athletic Association (IHSAA), Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union (IGHSAU), and National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) as a resource for mitigation efforts to help ensure student athlete and coach safety.
- NCSD will post signage prominently indicating no one should attend or participate in practice if they currently have symptoms or have been in contact with anyone with a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis in the last 14 days.
- Participants and coaches/sponsors should check their temperatures BEFORE attending activities. We would ask coaches to remind participants of this expectation on a daily basis.
- Anyone with symptoms of illness is not allowed to participate
- Fever or chills (Fever is a temperature greater than 100.4 degrees fahrenheit)
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Any individual reporting symptoms and/or a fever should be isolated until they can transported home safely.
- Coaches/sponsors are responsible for tracking attendance for the purpose of noting potential COVID-19 cases, and for contact tracing purposes.
- If you are contacted to provide the names of close contacts in activity or sport, please send the information as soon as possible.
- If a coach/sponsor learns of a student who is either testing for COVID or has a family member testing, they will contact both Mr. Lammers and Diana Duffy for HS or Mr. Lipovac and Laura Johnson for MS.
- Public Health will be contacted if a positive case of COVID-19 is reported.
- NCSD and Warren County Health Services will identify close contact exposures and will send letters to the identified individuals to alert them that they need to self monitor for symptoms of COVID.
- Persons who are within 6 feet for 15 or more minutes to a positive person are considered a close contact.
- If both parties are wearing a mask, the close contact exposure does NOT have to quarantine.
- Identified close contact exposures may have to quarantine for up to 14 days.
- Individuals who are symptom free for 10 days can return to activities on day 11, with continuous mask use through day 14
- Individuals who are symptom free for 7 days AND test negative on day 5 (or after) may resume activities on day 8, with continuous mask use through day 14
- The person testing positive still needs to isolate for the 10 days, plus 24 hours after fever without fever reducing medication and symptoms improving.
- Locker rooms may be used and will be sanitized every day.
- NCSD has established a sanitizing schedule for utilized facilities, bathrooms, & common areas.
- All School issued and personal clothing, equipment, and other items are required to be taken home each night following practices or competitions. Locker rooms should not be used as a storage area for equipment or personal belongings.
- Athletes can drop off equipment into the locker room before school each day if needed.
- Students, coaches, and others using the locker rooms should maintain 6 feet of social distancing.
- Athletes and coaches are required to wear face coverings while in the locker room, unless utilizing the shower.
- Parents must remain in their cars during drop off or pick up of participants, and during practice time.
- Students are asked to maintain social distancing in the facility and parking lot both before & after activities. Social distancing is defined as keeping 6 feet or more of distance between yourself and other people.
- Facility capacity limits, and group size limits (if applicable) will be supervised by coach/sponsor.
- Participants will be required to bring hand sanitizer & a face mask to activities.
- Sharing equipment items is discouraged. If shared equipment is necessary, use of hand sanitizer immediately after use of shared equipment is recommended.
- Coaches/sponsors will sanitize shared equipment after each activity conclusion.
- Personal items and equipment bags should be spaced at least 6 feet apart.
- Participants must bring their own water/beverage, labeled with their name, to consume before, during, and after activity.
- Ice from the school ice machine is to be used for injuries only.
- No shared drinking fountains may be used. Water bottle filling stations may be used.
- If a water bottle is filled by a designated person, other than the owner, that individual must wear a mask and sanitize their hands both before & after filling.
- Students will be required to wear face masks while on campus unless they have a religious or medical waiver.
- Gaiters and face shields are not allowed to be worn, unless approved by Norwalk Schools on an individual basis.
- Coaches will be required to wear face masks when on campus, during practices, and during competitions.
- Student Athletes who are not actively participating in a practice or competition must wear a face mask (ie. managers, bench players during games, and teams during meets).
- Participants will be encouraged to limit the amount of touching to their face during activities.
- Participants will be encouraged to apply hand sanitizer frequently before, during (ie. during water breaks and transitions between activities), and after activities.
- Coaches/sponsors are responsible for ensuring social distancing is maintained between participants as much as possible. This means additional spacing during certain activities, and no congregating of participants before/during/after activities.
- As much as possible, activities will be conducted in “pods” of participants with the same 5-10 participants always performing activities together to potentially limit exposures if an illness develops.
- Participants will be encouraged to shower, wash their clothing, and sanitize equipment immediately following activities upon returning to home.
- Other reasonable measures may be implemented by NCSD to ensure social distancing of staff, students, and community members to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 consistent with guidance issued by the IDPH.
Athletic Training Services
- If athletic healthcare services are needed, athletes are required to wear a face mask when working with the athletic trainer.
- A face mask will be provided to athletes as necessary.
- Only 2-3 athletes will be allowed in the stadium athletic training room at a time.
- Athletes must sanitize or wash their hands upon entering the athletic training room.
- No food or drink is allowed in the athletic training room.
- Guidelines will reflect school transportation guidelines which will come from NCSD, and the Department of Education.
- Masks must be worn while being transported on the bus. NO Food is allowed on the bus. A water bottle is allowed.
- Parents are allowed to transport their students to and from the event with notification provided to both the coach and athletic office.
- Face coverings are required and to be used while on school grounds. This guideline applies to all who are in attendance both home and visiting fans. In addition all spectators are to maintain 6’ social distancing.
- All coaches, athletes, managers, game/meet personnel, and fans are required to wear face masks at all times. The only exception to this rule is team warmups and athletes who are competing in a game or meet.
Ticket Purchasing & Admissions
- All student, family, single adult, gold, and staff activity passes will be honored for admission.
- Entrance into the stadium with an activity pass will be as it has been in the past. You don’t need to purchase a ticket to enter the game if you have a pass.
- Tickets for all HS soccer games, MS and HS track & field meets scheduled will be sold both ON-LINE and available for purchase at the door. Links for games will be made available for the public 36 hours in advance of the game. Parents will receive a link at least 48 hours prior to game day through Infinite Campus.
- ON-LINE Ticket purchasing links will be made available on the Athletic / Activities website at www.norwalkwarriors.org The link will also be communicated through the Norwalk Activities Twitter feed @Norwalk_Pride.
- Links will also be sent to the visiting teams in advance for ON-LINE purchasing only. Admission for all varsity scheduled dates is $5, K-Adults. Admission for all 9th & JV games not played on a varsity date as well middle school scheduled dates, is $3 K-Adult. Tickets are only available for purchase ON-LINE.
- Students 5th grade and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Concessions will be available and fully operational.
- Exact change, credit card, or debit card ONLY!!
- Please respect the designated entrance & exit lines as there will be a limited number of windows open for sales.
See the additional required guidelines below from the Iowa High School Athletic Association and Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union for safety protocols:
Should the conditions warrant, these requirements will be adjusted. Any further official updates will be posted on IHSAA and IGHSAU websites.